Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I don't understand this trend;

TV shows about TV shows. Who the hell came up with this ingenious idea? I mean, hell, NBC booted off their comedy season with two sitcoms about piecing together sketch comedy shows, 30 rock and whatever the hell the dude from Friends' show is called. And a bit down the Friends connection is Lisa Kudrow's mock-reality HBO show about an actress making a TV show, which may or may not be canned by the time you read this.

Another odd trend that has created some great shows is the current fascination with mock documentary, which has given us gems like the Office and Arrested Development... two of the best written comedies in recent memory.

While on the subject, fuck Fox. Let's pump all our resources into draining Family Guy for every last cent we can muster. Fox's "don't draw it, we ain't laughin" stance on comedy is really killing me. Who in the fuck was convinced that "American Dad" is too valuable to pass up for AD? If Fox kicked in my door and gave me a million dollars to laugh at this show, I'd wake up from my stupor based coma and hang myself for missing my one shot at being a millionaire. Fox probably spent about $12 advertising AD in three years and in turn won credible television awards, but no, we must hang on to that horrible Michael Rappaport sitcom about a mildly dysfunctional white, irish family. Original idea guys.

and HBO, don't get rid of Jeremy Piven. He is Entourage.

No comments: